Like A Trip Back To Middle School

Monday, May 19, 2008

Person of Law School

PERSON OF LAW SCHOOL
2005 - 2008


PAT C.

Just the other day, Pat commented on how his "Person of the [ ]" worthiness peaked in December 2005. Although I stopped regularly giving out the P.O.M. award shortly after he won it, and though I can't say for sure that he ever would have won an individual month after that, his selection for "Person of Law School" is an easy choice. Overall, I can't think of a single other person who has played such a large role in the past three years of my life.

I knew I wanted to be friends with Pat before we even met. And as proof, I have a snippet from an entry I wrote in my much more personal and private "blog" nearly three years ago:

The other nice "birthday acknowledgement" surprise came from this kid Patrick from Hofstra, who I "met" on Facebook (he added me on MySpace yesterday as well) and who is in all of my classes. He got my screenname from Facebook and sent me an IM yesterday afternoon to say happy birthday, which was nice. Maybe we'll be friends. I hope so, so that I can refer back to this entry and be like "hey! That was the first time I mentioned Patrick!" August 27, 2005

He became the first person that I added to the "Hofstra" section of my buddy list, and remembering now how I wanted to know him then makes it even crazier to me that Pat actually became one of the best friends I made at Hofstra. We started as AIM friends before gradually developing an "in person" friendship through EMF's Larry Lockett project; by the end of 1L year, between Bluebooking, late night IM paper writing, merciless teasing because of my extreme sadness over Tony Almeida's death on 24 (although apparently I got the last laugh there, since enough people were pissed off about his death to actually bring him back to the show, even if he's going to be a bad guy), Kingdom of Loathing, and covert study sessions, he'd become my best friend at law school. The summer after 1L year, an apartment broker showed Mary and me an apartment that was coincidentally three or four houses down from Pat, and we became neighbors.

Over the next two years, Pat and I went through periods where we saw each other and talked to each other less than we had, but ultimately, I always knew that Pat was someone that I could count on to be there for the fun times, like birthdays, and for the not-so-fun times, like sitting in my apartment for a few hours waiting for the Verizon guy to come while I went to class. I couldn't possibly begin to list here all of the law school memories I have that involve Pat, but one thing is for sure: in the three years since I received an IM from a stranger on my 24th birthday, Pat became and remained one of the most consistent people in my life.

I guess this is already long enough (although in my defense, this is technically about 33 p.o.m.'s all in one), so to wrap it up, I'll just say a quick thank you to Pat for three years of secondhand smoke, more comic book trivia than I ever could have wanted, and just for being him. Next stop: two months of Pieper and then the Bar Exam (which apparently he told Briton's mom that I was responsible for ensuring that they both pass). Looking forward to it ;)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At May 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM , Blogger Patrick C said...

    To quote Dr. Zoidberg "What an honor!"

    Seriously, I'm not really sure how to respond. Kerri has been with me all along staying up late writing papers, listening to me ramble about comics, playing ridiculous online games, teaching me html. The list goes on. Kerri is probably the only person I've consistently talked to ever since the very beginning of First Year, three short years ago. I'm so glad she switched to Pieper so we have a few more months of class together!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home